Tuesday 13 November 2007

Food Bloggers message board...

After talking to several peeps last night, there was some discussion about having a central place to post "stuff".. rather than going to 63 different blogs, leaving 67 different messages....

I run a phpBB message board, and.. IF there is any interest, I'd be able to set up a message board (similar in style to Taste.com or Chowhound), and prolly do it for free.

We could have different rooms for different discussions... or just one big ole kitchen, where we hang out.

That way, we eliminate the need to keep email lists of each other, or spend hours jumping from blog to blog to leave messages.

I am happy to give it a red hot go, IF anyone thinks it's a good idea.

But I am not going to ferret around for 40 hours, making a board no one will use.

So, IF you think this is a good idea, let me know in da comments. Hell.. let me know if you think it's crap.

I can prolly get an ad-free space from phpBB, but I'll need to investigate further.

Ideas on "rooms" or names for the site are welcome too...

wot say y'all??

8 comments:

Cindy said...

This is not a bad idea at all.

I think there should already be room for forums/discussion on the Facebook "Aussie food & wine bloggers" group page that Ed set up. We could try using that for a while (advertise it on our blogs) and see if there is enough interest before you go to all that phpBB effort.

As if I'm not already spending enough time on the internet looking at food...!

purple goddess said...

There is also a discussion forum in the Flickr account, too...

It would just be so much easier to have a central clearing house for messages like "When are we all getting together again and who's bringing what?"

Happy to get involved if needed.

Anonymous said...

hey chick

not that i am part of this process, but i set up another phbb board using an alternative provider that is ad free ... check out www.freeforums.org

just the same as what we use for the Tavern, but no ads, and few extra features you can add like an editable Calendar

sg

purple goddess said...

get outta my head, chicka!!!

THAT's exactly what I'd suggest using.. was just investigating how "ad-free" it is...

The ole cynic in me wonders about things like that!!

What's your feedback??

Any good??

Anonymous said...

well so far no ads have appeared which is all good!

they try to encourage you to upgrade your site to more features (none of them necessary) by filling in some forms or doing a survey or something, none of which is relevant outside the US anyway ..... i just ignore all of that - which doesn't leap in my face or anything. I think it sits in the admin panel bit.

only glitch at present is when peeps sign up, the email alert is slightly wonky, but it works in the end!

like the other guys, they are all breathlessly awaiting the new version to be released.

sg

Anonymous said...

Although the sentiment is great, I think there's a danger of another online meeting place diluting the focus of communication further. With the Facebook and Flickr presences and the much underused Aus/NZ section of eGullet, adding something more might be overkill...

purple goddess said...

Good point, Duncan.

I wrote this before I ealised that Flickr had a message board-like feature.

Think that'll do us noicely!!

Anonymous said...

I'm newbie here, I hope to get friends at this forum