Friday 11 July 2008

Char Kway Teoh.

Char Kway Teoh is a classic Singaporean Hawker dish. There are as many variations of this as there are noodles in a serve. I've seen ones with oysters rather than chicken. It's a dry noodle dish, you want to sauce only to coat and adhere to the ingredients, it's not a "saucey" dish, I particularly like the little bits of char that adhere to the noodles, when you cook them at this higher temp. We had some bits of red capsicum left over from the night before, so I added them as well.

I'd wax on more lyrically about it, except Blogger.. or maybe Mozilla is in a mood today, and I've lost and reclaimed this post three times now.

Best I hit "publish" before the Moofies strike again.

Char Kway Teoh.

500g kway teow (fresh flat rice noodles)
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
a handful of fresh bean sprouts
2 baby bok choys, cut into strips
1 Chinese sausages, thinly sliced
8 medium sized prawns, (fresh is best, pre-cooked if you have to)
1 onion cut into strips
1 chicken breast, steamed and cut into strips
2 eggs, beaten
2tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp sweet dark soya sauce (Kejap Manis)
1 tbsp sambal chilli paste (or Sambal Oelek)

Heat a large wok until very hot. Add a splash of cooking oil (I used peanut for this dish) and fry garlic until fragrant. Add kway teow, onions, chicken, prawns and fry, stirring constantly for about two minutes. Push the ingredients to the side of the wok, forming a well in the centre. Add the beaten egg, allowing it to set slightly before mixing it with the noodles. Add the Sambal Oelek, the bok choy, the fish sauce and sweet dark soya sauce and fry all ingredients together for another one to two minutes before adding the Chinese sausages and the bean sprouts. Toss to combine. Serve hot.

6 comments:

thanh7580 said...

Good char kway teoh has to have that smokey "wok" flavour for me. Otherwise it just doesn't tast right.

Brandi Reynolds said...

hmmmm....looks fabulous!

KJ said...

I have never heard of this. But it sounds delicious.

Thermomixer said...

kj It is delicious - I can taste the food in the hawkers' markets in Singapore. Great work PG.

Keep training those littleuns to enjoy real food.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

That looks great! I've never had the guts to make char kway teow at home. Yours looks delicious.

Although I have to assert my Malaysian pride and say that Char Kway Teow is actually Malaysian. Best version is Penang Char Kway Teow, in my totally unbiased opinion! (Penang being my home town). Hehehe!

xox Sarah